Need a juicy pick-me-up to get your week started? Well, we’ve got one for you! That’s right, today at Green Mustache we are talking fruit! We eat it year round, but certain fruits are best during different seasons. Who doesn't love biting into a nice, juicy wedge of watermelon as the juice trickles down your chin?! It’s a great summer fruit to cool down with on hot days. Apples are delicious in the fall and winter, whether eaten on their own or used in a tasty recipe. And what about berries you ask? Blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries -- the list goes on -- but we love them all! Call us crazy…about fruit! It’s a sure way to get our tummies growling! We’ve got some fun facts about fruit listed below that you can share with the little apple of your eye.
Did you know:
- Strawberries, apples and plums are all members of the rose family.
- Each pineapple plant only produces a single pineapple once a year, and it takes a pinapple 18 months to 2 years to grow to its full size.
- 7,500 varieties of apple are grown around the world and 2,500 varieties of apples are grown in the United States alone.
- Eggplants, avocados, pumpkins, cucumbers and tomatoes are actually fruits, not vegetables as they are commonly thought of. However, in 1893, the Supreme Court ruled tomatoes to be vegetables.
- Banana trees are not actually trees – they are giant herbs. The large stem that is mistaken for a trunk on a banana tree is actually a “pseudostem” meaning “fake stem”. Each pseudostem provides a single bunch of bananas, which then dies and is replaced by another pseudostem.
- Not all varieties of bananas are yellow, some are actually red or green. Also some raspberries can be white, yellow, or black.
- In ancient Greece, throwing an apple at a woman was considered a marriage proposal.
- If you pinch your nose and taste an apple, onion, or potato, they all taste almost the same. Try it! The fact that the three items have a similar consistency makes it virtually impossible to tell them apart without the sense of smell.